Patient Navigator Program
AAHI Patient Navigators assist limited-English speaking and low-income County residents who are attempting to access County services but do not have the knowledge, language skills, or support system to do so independently.
Launched in March 2008, the Patient Navigator Program was created in direct response to concerns expressed by Asian American residents of Montgomery County regarding this diverse community’s access to health care.
Services Provided by PNP
Multi-lingual Health Information and Referral Telephone Line
The Multi-lingual Health Information and Referral Telephone Line component is staffed with multi-lingual interpreters who are able to provide general health information and also inform and navigate callers to the proper health services in the County.
The services provided by the Multi-lingual telephone line include, but are not limited to:
- Helping callers navigate Montgomery County health resources;
- Helping callers gain access to disease prevention screening programs;
- Providing information and referrals to County health services;
- Assisting with interpretation needs over the phone;
- Disseminating information about health service options available to eligible community members.
Trained Multi-lingual Medical Interpreters
Trained Multi-lingual medical interpreters are available to assist low-income, uninsured clients during medical appointments scheduled through the Information and Referral Telephone Line. Interpreters work to empower patients by providing them with the information they need to understand their diagnosis and treatment options, communicate with doctors, and ask the right questions to get the answers they need.
The services provided by the Multi-lingual medical interpreters include, but are not limited to:
- Helping Asian Americans overcome communication barriers by assisting them with scheduling appointments at County safety net clinics (for eligible low income and/or uninsured Montgomery County residents);
- Providing on-site, face-to-face medical interpretation during appointments;
- Assisting with translating patient education materials, patient registration, scheduling follow-up appointments, and explaining medical procedures as needed.
Contact the Program today
If you or someone you know is in need of assistance accessing a County health service, contact the Patient Navigator Program today. Information specialists are available to assist callers in Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Vietnamese, other Asian languages and English.
Main Telephone: (301) 760-4993
Toll Free: (866) 403-1566
Press #1 for Chinese
Press #2 for Korean
Press #3 for Hindi
Press #4 for Vietnamese